-
September 24th, 2006, 07:41 PM
#51
Inactive Member
Hi Erin!
If it helps any, I'm planning to ask my Dad for an AG gift certifcate for Christmas this year--he shouldn't be too surprised since my DD and I just took Kit & Holly to visit him.
Don't worry, a few months on HB and I bet your concerns about raising eyebrows will fade away! I think your going to have a lot of fun talking to everyone here [img]smile.gif[/img]
Katie
-
September 24th, 2006, 07:46 PM
#52
Inactive Member
Thanks!
I forgot to mention -- one of my friends (same age) has a Samantha doll that she got when she was little. She noticed that I just recently got one and said, "I can't believe that you spent that much money on a doll now!"
Some people don't get it, I guess. I love collecting toys and re-visiting ones I had when I was younger. It's a shame that it's not totally socially acceptable and some people think it's odd.
Sigh! So I definitely love all of the support and stories that you're all sharing with me. I'm sure that after being on the boards for a while I'll get over it.
Erin
-
September 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM
#53
Inactive Member
Hi, Erin. My name is Cindy and I am 26 years old. I have been collecting AG for about 3 years. I started after I graduated college! My first doll was Samantha, then the next year they came out with her best friend Nellie and the movie, boy was I excited! I thought Samantha would be my only doll. But after collecting most of her stuff, I thought I would move on to Kirsten. My parents took me to Chicago this summer and went to American Girl Place. I even took Samantha with me. They thought it was a little strange at first, but they got used to it.
-
September 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
#54
Inactive Member
Welcome to the addiction HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry... You've found the right spot. This board was started by/for women in their 20s who loved AGs as kids and continue to love them still! [img]graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
-
September 24th, 2006, 09:15 PM
#55
Inactive Member
Welcome to the board!
When I was a little girl, I had a mother, great aunt and Godmother who tried with no success to get me into dolls, as they all are doll lovers themselves. The only doll I ever loved was my American Girl Molly, who I got when I was just about to turn nine years old. She and I had many adventures together, and when I did finally put my most special stuffed animals away, she went with them in the 'never never never sell' box.
In November of 2004, at least ten years since my last American Girl order, the holiday catalouge just showed up to our house. I remember feeling silly at first looking through it, telling myself that I was just looking to see how they had changed since my AG days. At that time I was collecting My Little Ponies (who now have been mostly sold to fund my AG collection [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) so I guess I was open to collecting toys, but I never guessed I would end up collecting dolls!
Needless to say I was so impressed with all the new things AG had to offer, and very disappointed to see the doll I had coveted but didn't ask for because I had gotten a real horse that year: Felicity. So I ended up on the website, and through Google I found this place. Within a week, Felicity was finally mine! And then they just started flocking here after that, so I'm up to 13 now! (8 Historicals, 1 Limited Edition, 2 Girls of Today, and 2 Bitty Twins) Plus 7 Girls of Many Lands (an AG line), 1 Carpatina, 4 Collector Barbies and 30 Bratz.
So finally at the age of 22 I discovered the joy of dolls, and now, at 24, I am doll crazy! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
September 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
#56
Inactive Member
Until I discovered this board over a year ago I was always questioning myself. I've forever been accused of being "immature" socially. I've been into AG for 5 years since I was 25 and I got into AG because the books and the stories. I keep getting "It's great that you're reading but why don't you choose things more age appropriate?".
I often feel like I relate better to kids than to adults. I don't really know anyone in my real life who likes AG(except little kids) and I often hope I'll find a friend that I can see and talk to face to face about AG dolls and stories, and call someone on the phone when the newest AG thing comes out.
I have done a few things with my fascination: chose a college major in Elememtnary Education(where I can use the AG stories as teaching tools), and became a Girl Scout Brownie leader. Living near Chicago, I really hope I can convince my fellow troop leaders to go to AGPC with the girls. They have special packages for Girl Scout troops!
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ September 24, 2006 06:20 PM: Message edited by: Diamond Dragon ]</font>
-
September 24th, 2006, 09:29 PM
#57
Inactive Member
Sparklyyy, I just thought I'd add one other thing about family and friends that are skeptical about AG. I've noticed people respond really well when you tell them how relaxing the dolls are, and how they'll someday be heirlooms full of good memories for your own children. I told that to someone who was teasing me about it (good-naturedly, but still thinking I was completely bizarre) and two days later they asked for a catalog. I later learned they decided AG wasn't for them, but that they had started collecting legos, lol. My dad tells me everybody has an addiction, and that AG is the most benign one he's ever heard of, so if anyone thinks you're crazy, just ask if they'd rather you spent the money on a different addiction, lol [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
September 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
#58
Inactive Member
Great advice! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Erin
-
September 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM
#59
Inactive Member
Welcome to HB! ^_^ You're going to love it here.
Don't you worry, you're never to old to play with dolls! I myself am a few years younger than you are, in an age range where I am expected to have given up my girls, but yet they continue to hold a special place in my heart and home. ^_^ And I'm sure they always will! As the saying goes, "Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional."
I was first introduced to AG when I was a little girl. My parents gave me a Bitty Baby (though at that time the collection was called Our New Baby) for my fourth Christmas. A year later my dear Samantha came to be Kira's big sister. The rest, as they say, is history. Now I have all of the historicals and friend dolls, all of the LE Girls of the Year, three AGTs, one ONB, and even more non-AG dollies. And I'm still hoping to bring home a few more!
Again, welcome! =)
-
September 25th, 2006, 02:15 PM
#60
Inactive Member
welcome to the board...and you are never to old...I am probably one of the oldest collectors on the board...but I also look at it not only as a hobby I love but a great investmant....not many things hold there value like AG
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks